This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Methiche dhirde is a savory Indian pancake that is made using fresh fenugreek leaves along with gram flour, rice flour, herbs & spices. This is a vegan, diabetic-friendly, wholesome, nutritious pancake that is best served for breakfast or for evening snacks along with a cup of tea or coffee.
Dhirde is a Marathi word for chilla also called pancakes. These dhirde / chillas are loaded with good fats and protein. This crispy flavourful methi dhirde / fenugreek pancake is a great way to quickly satisfy your cravings.
Methiche dhirdhe in Hindi is called methi ka chilla and in English, it translates to Savoury Fenugreek Pancake This nutritious and healthy pancake is simple, easy, and quick to make. These chillas are protein-rich and are prepared using minimal ingredients that are easily available at home.
In India, we prepare varieties of savory pancakes that are made using different flours such as rice flour also known as “ghaavan”, semolina (suji), jowar flour, wheat flour, nachni flour, bajra flour to name a few.
As these dhirde /chillas are quick and easy to make they make a perfect snack for kids when they return hungry from play or school. Kids love these with tangy ketchup. These dhirde/chillas make a perfect snack for that 6 pm hunger pangs. You can also pack these chilla / pancakes for the kid’s lunch box along with ketchup.
To make this super simple recipe, you just need to mix everything in a bowl, make the batter and you are good to go! I normally do not add any extra vegetables to this recipe but if you want you can top up the chilla / pancake with finely chopped vegetables such as bell peppers, spring onions, carrots, spinach, cabbage, or even grated paneer (Indian cottage cheese).
Being low in glycemic index and rich in complex carbs these chillas are diabetic-friendly and perfect for weight watchers. A perfect snack option for diabetics and for people who are on a weight loss journey. Just use very little oil while preparing by using a non-stick pan.
This is one of the fuss-free recipes and you can never go wrong with it. The chillas are wholesome and delicious for that great start to a busy day.
They don’t require any fermentation hence they are quick to make and can be made in just under 30 minutes.
Dhirde / chilla / pancakes are popular across the country with so many variations that vary from state to state. This healthy snack is low in calories and makes a perfect option for a quick breakfast, brunch or evening snacks.
This methiche dhirde is an ideal recipe for beginners and bachelors and especially comes in handy for busy moms in the rush hours of morning.
Apart from this methiche dhirde / methi chilla, we often make tandlache dhirde also known as tandalche ghavan (rice pancakes), nachni-jowar dhirde (raagi & millet pancake), cabbage chilla, sweet corn chilla to name a few. I have already shared cabbage and sweet corn dhirde on my blog. Do check it out if interested.
Methi / Fenugreek Leaves: I have used a cup of washed and finely chopped methi leaves (fenugreek leaves). We need only the leaves here, not the stem.
Flours: I have used 3 flours in making this recipe, wheat flour (gehu ka atta), rice flour (chawal ka atta) and besan (gram flour)
Spices & Herbs: I have used a coarse paste of garlic-green chillies here along with red chilli powder, tumeric, carrom seeds and cumin seeds.
Seasoning: I seasoned this dhirda with salt.
Oil: I ended up using 3 tablespoons of oil in shallow frying this dhirdhe / chilla / pancake.
Water: I ended up using 3 cups of water, the quantity of water depends on flours so add accordingly
Let’s see how to make methiche dhirde with simple basic ingredients in your home kitchen.
- 1 Cup Methi Leaves
- 1/2 Cup Wheat Flour (Gehu Atta)
- 1/2 Cup Besan (Gram Flour)
- 1/4th Cup Rice Flour
- 2 Green Chilies
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1/4th teaspoon Carrom Seeds (Ajwain)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 2 tablespoons Coriander Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
- Water to make the batter
- First, using a mortar-pestle, roughly crush garlic and green chilles.
- Wash methi leaves and cut them finely.
- In a mixing bowl, add wheat flour, besan (gram flour), and rice flour.
- Add garlic-green chilli paste, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, ajwain (carrom seeds) salt, finely chopped coriander leaves, and finely chopped methi leaves (fenugreek leaves).
- Mix all the ingredients well, Add 3 cups of water (This is the measurement that I ended up adding). Add water little by little not all at one go.
- The batter consistency should be of a dosa batter. It should be runny but not too thick or too thin.
- Make sure no lumps remain in the batter, the batter should be smooth in texture.
- Heat a non-stick skillet, and grease with oil. Pour a ladleful of batter and spread it lightly using the back of the spoon.
- You may also check out these recipes: Latest Recipe Post, Sweet Corn Chilla, Cabbage Chilla, Green Chutney, Garlic Chutney, Snack Recipes, Maharashtrian Recipes, Curry Recipes, Vegan Recipes, Diabetic-Friendly Recipes, Beginner-Friendly Recipes
- Cook dhirde / chilla / pancake on a medium flame.
- Drizzle oil on the edges and cook till they are golden brown from both sides.
- This batter will make approximately 7 medium size sweet corn chillas.
- Serve hot with green mint chutney, dates & tamarind chutney or tomato ketchup.
I have used garlic in this recipe, if you do not eat garlic use ginger instead or avoid it completely.
You can add spinach leaves too instead of methi.
To make this dhirde / chilla / pancake gluten-free, avoid wheat flour and use only besan and rice flour.
For a healthier version, you may also add any millet flour instead of rice flour or wheat flour.
You may also add vegetables of your choice or sprouts to enhance the nutritional value of this dish.
Instead of ajwain, you can add hing (asafoetida).