Lasnachi Chutney also known as garlic chutney, lehsun ki chutney is a popular condiment made in almost every household and used as a side dip in Indian street foods.
Lasun means Garlic and Khobra mean Coconut.
Dry coconut is used in making this chutney along with dry red chilles, tamrind, and lots of garlic.
This is a dry chutney recipe as we call it in marathi “sukhi lasun khobra chutney” that can be served in everyday meals and best accompaniment for snacks such as vadapav, batata vada, kothimbir vadi to name a few.
This chutney is also known as “vada pav chutney”.
Homemade lasnachi chutney ( garlic chutney) can be stored in an air-tight container for up to 4 weeks at room temperature. Do not refrigerate.
Lasnachi chutney is a staple condiment of Maharashtra, Karnataka. It is best served with pithla ( a spicy gramflour curry) and bhakri (a flat bread roti made from jowar, bajra, nachni) along with raw onion and some fried green chillies.
Lasnachi chutney is spicy and has a punget smell. This is vegan chutney and can be relished with any Indian snacks.
This is such a versatile chutney, that I love to eat it just along with simple plain roti to curb my hunger pangs.
Let’s see step by step how to make this sukhi lasnachi chutney / dry garlic chutney with coconut in your home kitchen.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Cooking level: Easy
- 15-20 Medium Sized Peeled Garlic Pods
- 1 Cup Grated Dry Coconut
- 4 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 teaspoon Tamarind
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- In a thick bottom pan, add teaspoon of oil & roast grated coconut and dry red chillies.
- Roast on medium to low flame till coconut turns golden brown. Do not burn the coconut.
- Now add peeled garlic pods along with tamarind and roast for about 2-3 mins till they also start changing color.
- Note: We don’t want any brown garlic here, just that the little rawness of garlic should fade away.
- Now switch off the flame and transfer the roasted mixture onto a dry plate and keep aside to cool down.
- Once the roasted mixture is cooled, add the mixture to the blender. Add salt as required and blend using pulse mode. Do not grind in one go.
- Blend to the consistency that you require.
- Adjust salt and spiciness. In case you need more spicy chutney, you may add some red chilli powder aswell.
- Dry Garlic Chutney with Coconut Chutney is ready.