This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sweet Corn Chilla (Sweet Corn Pancake) is a savory Indian pancake that is made using sweet corn kernels along with gram flour, rice flour, herbs & spices. This is a vegan, wholesome, nutritious pancake that is best served for breakfast or for evening snacks along with a cup of tea or coffee.
This Sweet Corn Chilla (Sweet Corn Pancake) is simple, easy and quick to make. These chillas are protein-rich and are prepared using minimal ingredients that are easily available at home.
In India, we prepare varieties of savory pancakes that are made using different flours such as rice flour also known as “ghaavan”, semolina (suji), jowar flour, wheat flour, nachni flour, raagi flour to name a few.
Today I tried this delicious kid’s favourite sweet corn chilla (sweet corn pancake) along with some earthy spices and herbs.
To make this super simple recipe, you just need to mix everything together in a blender, whip it up and you are ready to go. I normally do not add any vegetables to this recipe but if you want you can top up the chilla / pancake with finely chopped vegetables such as bell peppers, spring onions, carrots, spinach, fenugreek leaves, or even grated paneer (Indian cottage cheese).
The addition of vegetables as a topping makes a perfect one-dish meal in itself. Apart from vegetables, you may also top these chillas / pancakes with cooked sprouts which adds a nice texture and makes them more flavorful.
As these chillas are quick and easy to make they make a perfect snack for kids when they return hungry from play or school. Kids love these with tangy ketchup. These chillas make a perfect snack for that 6 pm hunger pangs.
You can also pack these chilla / pancakes for the kid’s lunch box along with ketchup.
This is one of the fuss-free recipes and you can never go wrong with it. The chillas are wholesome and delicious for that great start to a busy day. They don’t require any fermentation hence they are quick to make and can be made in just under 20 minutes.
I personally make these chilla’s for a quick light dinner or even lunch as one pot meal. Serve them with green chutney or Garlic Chutney or even ketchup.
To make this Pancake I have used:
Sweet Corn Kernels: I have used frozen corn kernels here. Hence I just blanched them in hot water for 5 minutes and drained off the excess water and cooled them to room temperature before blending.
Flours: I have used gluten-free gram flour (besan) and rice flour.
Spices & Herbs: This is a mildly spiced recipe hence I have just used a handful of spices and herbs here that includes cumin seeds, turmeric, asafoetida, coriander leaves and green chillies.
Oil: I have used rice bran oil here.
Water: I ended up using 2 cups of water to make the batter.
Sweet Corn Pakoda
Let’s see how to make Sweet Corn Chilla / Sweet Corn Pancake with simple basic ingredients in your home kitchen.
- 1 Cup Sweet Corn Kernels (aprox. 200 gms)
- 1 Cup Besan (Gram Flour)
- 1 Cup Rice Flour
- 2 Green Chilies
- 1/4th teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- Handful of Coriander Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
- Water to make batter
I have used frozen corn here, hence I just blanched them for 5 minutes in hot water, drained the water and have used it.
If you are using raw corn kernels then, boil them in water for about 20 minutes and use them.
Let’s start making the sweet corn pancakes.
- In a blender, add boiled sweet corn kernels along with cumin seeds, coriander leaves & green chillies.
- Blend to a paste. (I have coarsely blened the paste as I like those little bits of sweetcorn and herbs but you can blend to fine paste as per your preference).
- Now in a mixing bowl, add besan (gram flour), rice flour, hing (asafoetida), turmeric powder, salt and the sweet corn paste that me made.
- Add 2 cups of water (This is the measurement that I ended up adding). Add water little by little not all at one go.
- Check for seasoning.
- The batter consistency should that be of a dosa batter. It should be runny but not too thick or too thin.
- Heat a non-stick skillet, grease with oil. Pour a ladleful of batter and spread it lightly using back of the spoon.
- Cook the sweet corn chilla on a medium flame.
- Drizzle oil on the edges and cook till they are golden brown from both sides.
- This batter will make approximately 7 medium size sweet corn chillas.
- Serve hot with green mint chutney, dates & tamarind chutney or tomato ketchup.
I have not used ginger garlic paste here, but you can add it if you like. It enhances the taste of this chilla.
To make this chilla gluten-free, avoid using asafoetida.
You may add vegetables or sprouts to enhance the nutritional value of this pancake.
1 thought on “Instant Sweet Corn Chilla | Sweet Corn Pancake”