Kanda Tomato Koshimbir in English translates to Onion Tomato Salad. It is quick,easy and simple salad preparation.
This is a vegan, diabetic-friendly, beginner & bachelor-friendly plant-based recipe.
Kanda means Onions and Koshimbir mean Salad.
This koshimbir / salad is made with finely chopped onion & tomatoes and is tossed along with coarsely crushed peanuts, and tempered with mustard seeds and spices.
The main ingredient which gives this salad / koshimbir a perfect texture and taste is the addition of peanut powder. Do not skip adding peanut powder for the authentic taste.
Koshimbir is an integral part of Maharashtrian thali. We often make this kanda tomato koshimbir at home as an accompaniment with roti and vegetables.
This is a no-fuss, no dressing refreshing salad that makes a great side dish for any meal. It is light on the stomach and filling.
This kanda tomato koshimbir / salad is so easy to make, that it takes only 15 minutes to toss everything together.
There are enormous recipes of koshimbir / salads that are prepared all over India, some famous ones are cucumber salad (kakdi chi koshimbir), beet root salad, Carrot koshimbir / salad, corn salad to name a few.
Another variation of making this kanda tomato chi koshimbir (onion tomato salad) is the addition of yogurt. The addition of yogurt increases the taste and also increases its nutritional value.
Using just simple pantry staples this super healthy and filling salad can be tossed up in no time.
To make this kanda tomato koshimbir (onion tomato salad) all you need is finely chopped onion and tomatoes along with coarsely crushed peanuts, Salt, green chillies, sugar and mustard seeds for tempering and you are good to go! It’s that easy!
You may substitute peanuts with roasted cashew nuts, walnuts or almonds. You may also avoid tempering for this salad and instead sprinkle some lemon juice.
This kanda tomato koshimbir (onion tomato salad) is best when eaten immediately. You may serve it chilled by keeping it in the refrigerator an hour prior to serving. While doing so, just remember not to add salt as salt would make the veggies release their water.
Try not to store this salad for the next day.
So to sum up, this onion tomato koshimbir / salad is:
4. Diabetic Friendly
5. Beginner & Bachelor Friendly
Let’s see how to make kanda tomato Koshimbir / onion tomato salad using staple ingredients in your home kitchen.
Serves: 4 persons
- 2 small-sized onions finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Roasted Peanut Powder (OR coarsely crushed peanuts using pestle mortar)
- 2-3 Green Chillies finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Leaves (cilantro) finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/4th teaspoon Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Let’s begin to make kanda tomato koshimbir / onion tomato salad.
- Using a blender let’s make peanut powder or you may use mortar and pestle to coarsely crush the roasted peanuts.
- In a bowl add finely chopped onion & tomatoes.
- Add peanut powder, green chillies, salt, and sugar, mix well. (The main ingredient which gives this salad / koshimbir a perfect texture and taste is the addition of peanut powder. Do not skip adding peanut powder. )
- For tempering: In a small saucepan or kadhai, heat a tablespoon of oil. Once hot, add mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Now add asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Pour this mixture onto the onion-tomato mixture. Mix well.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves (cilantro).
- And there you go! a super fast, super easy kanda tomato koshimbir / onion tomato salad is ready to serve.
You can substitute mustard seeds with cumin seeds for tempering.
You may also add cucumber in this salad and curd if you wish to.
Do not skip peanut powder.
You can put this in wraps and also spread this over papad, khakra, tortilla chips and have it as a snack.