This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Koshimbir is a staple of any Maharashtrian meal. Koshimbir is a generic term given to typical Maharashtrian Salad that is served as an accompaniment with everyday meals. They are easy to make, nutritious and refreshing.
Carrot Salad / Gajarachi Koshimbir is a delicious, light & crisp salad that is easy and quick to make. Grated carrots are mixed along with roasted peanut powder, sugar, salt, lemon juice and tempered with mustard seeds, hing to name a few.
It hardly takes 10-15 minutes to prepare this gajarachi koshimbir. This is a gluten-free, vegan recipe that is light on calories as well.
The addtion of fresh carrots and peanuts makes this koshimbir super chrunchy. The addtion of lemon and sugar makes this koshimbir little sweet and tangy.
We love to have this carrot koshimbir along with simple amti bhat (dal rice), or with poli bhaji ( roti sabji) or just as a one pot snack.
If you like you may also add some whipped curd to this koshimbir along with chaat masala incase you want koshimbir to be more tangy, chatpata type.
For this recipe you may use the red carrots that are available abundantly in winters or the orange carrots that are available all around the year.
I have uses peanuts in this recipe, but you can also substitute it with scraped or grated fresh coconut or even coarsely grinded cashew nut powder.
You may also check some of these related recipes:
Let’s see how to make this no fuss recipe of Gajarachi Koshimbir / Maharashtrian Style Carrot Salad in your home kitchen.
Serves: 2 Persons
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 2 minutes
Cooking level: Very Easy
Taste: Chruncy, Tangy
Ingredients Required For This Recipe:
- 1 Cup Grated Carrots
- 1 tablespoon Roasted Peanut Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1-2 nos Green Chillies finley chopped
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- 3-4 nos Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
How to make Maharashtrian Style Gajarachi Koshimbir:
- Peel and grate the carrots.
- In a mixing bowl, add the grated carrots, peanut powder, salt, sugar, green chillies and mix well. Check the seasoning.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil, add mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds crackle add hing, curry leaves and switch off the flame.
- Pour this tempering over the grated carrots. Add lemon juice and mix everything well.
- Gajarachi Koshimbir / Carrot Salad is ready.
- Serve along with the meals.