Dadpe Pohe is a Maharashtrian snack recipe made out of thin variety of Poha which is infused with onion tomato and coconut, along with basic herbs and spices.
Dadpe Pohe is one of the most popular Maharashtrian dish. It is very unique in taste, healthy & filling at the same time. This is a vegan and gluten free recipe.
Dadpe or Dadapne means pressing or keeping an item under weight. Just like “Dum” process. Normally after all the ingredients are mixed in this poha it is covered with a lid so that all the flavours are absorbed by the thin poha and they become soft so that they can be easily eaten.
However this keeping of lid method takes 10-15mins. Instead of that I sprinkle little fresh coconut water or normal water which helps the poha get little moist and can be eaten immediately.
You may also check some of these related recipes:
Let’s see how to make this simple, easy breakfast dish in your home kitchen
Serves: 2 Persons
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minute
Cooking level: Easy
Taste: Mild Spicy
Ingredients Required For This Recipe:
- 2 cups Thin Poha (Beaten Rice Flakes)
- 1 Big Onion finely chopped
- 1 Tomato de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1tbsp Red chilly powder
- 1/2 cup or 4 tbsp Shredded Coconut
- 1/2 Lemon
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Sugar (Optional)
- 1/2 cup Coriander Leaves
- 4 Poha Papad (Optional)
- 1tbsp Oil
- 1tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4th tsp Hing
- 1/4th tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Green chilles
How to make Maharashtrian Dadpe Pohe :
- In a mixing bowl add thin poha, onion, deseeded tomatoes, red chilly powder, salt, sugar and shredded coconut. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Due to coconut, poha will become moderately moist which is what we want. Incase your poha is dry and not getting moist just sprinkle little coconut water or normal drinking water.
- Now in a small kadhai add oil and mustard seeds. When mustard seeds begins to crackle add hing , turmeric powder and finely chopped green chillies. Be careful while adding chillies as they will splatter.
- Now add this tempering over the poha and with a spoon mix well till all the tempering is properly incorported into poha.
- Squeez lemon and add chopped coriander leaves.
- Dadpe Pohe is ready. Garnish with shredded coconut, coriander leaves and fried & hand crushed poha papad (optional).
- This dadpe pohe is eaten at room temperature only. No need to cook them on stove.