This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the full disclosure here.
Aloo methi is a classic Indian winter special stir-fried vegetable preparation made with cubed boiled potatoes & fresh fenugreek leaves. This is also called Aloo methi ki sabji.
About Aloo Methi Ki Sabji
Aloo methi is made up of aloo which in English is known as potatoes that are tossed with finely chopped fenugreek leaves (methi) along with some flavourful spices. This makes a wonderful accompaniment to your everyday meals. It goes very well with dal rice, jeera rice and pulao.
Aloo methi is often made at my place and served with roti, phulka or dal rice. This is a super healthy side dish and is easy to cook with basic pantry staples. The green nutritious methi (fenugreek) is tossed in basic spices along with boiled cubed potatoes.
This vegan aloo methi makes a perfect option for a lunch box for kids and adults along with roti, chapati or phulka. The simplicity of this makes it easy to prepare even if you are in a hurry as it gets ready in under 30 minutes.
Apart from being a delicious vegetable, fenugreek (methi) is considered one of the most nutritional vegetable.
This is a simple Indian stir-fry recipe packed with delicious flavours. Methi (Fenugreek leaves) is the most commonly used vegetable in Indian kitchens.
Here are some nutritional facts about these healthy leafy greens due to which it should be ideal to include this vegetable in your diet.
- Fenugreek leaves are low in calories & high in soluble fiber.
- They help in reducing cholesterol. Which makes them ideal for Weight Watchers, heart patients and diabetic patients.
- Fenugreek leaves are enriched with vitamin C, vitamin A and beta-carotene which helps in making your immune system strong.
- They have high iron content along with potassium and calcium.
- Fenugreek leaves aids in digestion.
- Including methi leaves or methi seeds improves the texture of skin and hair.
Methi is a staple in our house. Be it methi thepla, methi chi patal bhaji (curried fenugreek with gram flour (besan), methi chi partun bhaji (ie stir-fried methi with onion & garlic), methi dal , methi pakoda, we love to make use of this aromatic vegetable each week without fail.
Methi thepla is often made for breakfast and goes very well along with pickle, curd and a hot cup of tea or coffee.
To prepare aloo methi or any methi (fenugreek leaves), you first need to pluck the tender leaves individually from the stems and wash them under running tap water.
Once you plucked the leaves, put them in a colander or strainer and wash them under tap water. Drain the excess water and leave them to air dry or you can pat dry them using a kitchen towel.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can we store the washed fenugreek leaves in the refrigerator?
Never wash the leaves and store them in the refrigerator. They tend to spoil quickly Wash the leaves only when you are ready to cook. You can store the plucked leaves in the refrigerator for about a week without washing them and use them when needed.
Methi Leaves (Fenugreek Leaves) – We will require a bunch of methi leaves that makes approximately 3 cups. We need to use only the leaves and discard the stems. Wash leaves with water a couple of time to get rid of mud.
Potatoes – We will need 3 boiled potatoes. I have peeled the skin and cut them into bite sized cubes.
Vegetables – We will add finely chopped onions and tomatoes which make the base of this sabji.
Spices & Herbs – We are going to add basic spices such as red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander & cumin powder, garam masala powder. Also we will need roughly crushed garlic julienned ginger and green chillies.
Seasoning -We will add half a teaspoon of sugar to balance the bitterness of methi (fenugreek leaves). Also, we will add salt as per taste.
More Sabji Recipes
Aloo Palak Sabji (Spinach Potato Sabji), Aloo Baingan Sabji (Eggplant Potato Curry), Aloo Gobi Ki Sabji (Cauliflower Potato Sabji), Aloo Gavar Ki Sabji (Cluster Beans & Potato Sabji), Aloo Shimla Mirch Ki Sabji (Capsicum Potato Sabji)
More Methi Recipes
How To Make Aloo Methi Ki Sabji Recipe
Watch On YouTube
Join “Easy Indian Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes” on Facebook & be a part of our community.
Thank you for stopping by, I would love to know your thoughts on this recipe.
Also, do check out my Lifestyle Blog eralivine.com if interested.
Aloo Methi Sabji | आलू मेथी की सब्ज़ी | Fenugreek Potato Stir Fry
- 1 bunch (3 cups) Methi Leaves (Fenugreek Leaves)
- 3 Potatoes, cubed
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tomato, finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies, roughly chopped
- 5-6 Garlic, roughly crushed
- 1 teaspoon Ginger, julienned
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/4th teaspoon Hing (asafoetida)
- 1/2 teaspoon Tumeric Poweder
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- Pluck methi leaves and wash them a couple of times with water. Drain the excess water.
- Pat dry the leaves and chop them finely.
- Cut potatoes into bitesize cubes and keep them in water to stop oxidation.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add hing (asafoetida) and finely chopped onions. Saute onions for 2 minutes.
- Now add roughly crushed garlic and saute for 2 minutes till the raw smell of garlic fades away. Add roughly chopped green chillies.
- Add cubed potatoes and mix.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to season the potatoes and mix.
- Add half cup of water. Cover and cook potatoes till they are half done.
- Once potatoes are half cooked add finely chopped tomatoes.
- Add spices, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder and ginger julliens and mix well.
- Cover and cook potatoes & tomatoes till they soften.
- Once potatoes are cooked perfectly add finely chopped methi leaves (fenugreek leaves), salt and sugar. Sugar helps in balancing the flavour of this sabji.
- Cover & cook methi for 6-7 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Aloo methi sabji is ready.
- Serve with flatbread, jeera rice or dal rice.