This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the full disclosure here.
Aloo Gobi Matar is a simple, nutritious and easy-to-make everyday kind of sabji recipe made with cauliflower, potatoes and green peas.
Aloo Gobi Matar is a simple, quick and easy-to-make vegetable curry that does not require a lot of pre-preparation beforehand.
This simple and delicious vegetable makes a perfect weeknight dinner menu and is the best option to pack for a lunch box.
This aloo gobi matar sabji is cooked in an aromatic onion tomato base. This is such a popular Indian curry that you will often find it on every restaurant menu as well as on roadside dhabas!
This aloo gobi matar masala tastes best when cooked semi-dry but you can keep it dry too or make it into a gravy as per your choice.
Making this recipe is so easy that I often include it for our quick hassle-free week-night dinner. This is a common day-to-day dish that is mostly on our weekly menu.
Apart from making this gobi matar masala, we also often make Aloo Gobi Ka Partha, Maharashtrian Style Aloo Gobi Sabji (Flower-Batata) and Restaurant Style Aloo Gobi Masala. I have already shared these recipes on my blog, do check if interest.
Thing To Remember
While making this dish, one thing that we need to keep in mind is that fresh green peas & potatoes take a longer time to cook than cauliflower florets. Hence we add the fresh green peas & potatoes first till they are half cooked and then add the cauliflower florets.
In case you are using frozen green peas, you can add them along with the cauliflower florets.
Here’s why you are going to love this aloo gobi matar ki sabzi-
- It’s quick and easy to make
- It’s a gluten-free and vegan recipe
- Makes a perfect midweek dinner menu to pair with flatbread, poori or jeera rice.
- Makes a perfect lunch box option for adults as well as kids.
- Healthy & Fiber Rich
- Beginner-Friendly Recipe
Gobi / Cauliflower – We will need 2 cups of cauliflower. Cut the cauliflower florets, wash them a couple of times and immerse them in salted water for 10-15 minutes to get rid of worms if any.
You can also blanch the florets by adding salt and turmeric powder for about 5 to 7 minutes.
Green Peas – I have added fresh green peas to make this curry. You can also use frozen peas for this recipe.
Potatoes – Chop potatoes into cubes and immerse them in salty water to stop oxidation.
Other Vegetables – We are going to use a cup of finely chopped onions and half a cup of finely chopped tomatoes. This is the base for our gravy.
Spices & Herbs – To give a nice depth of flavour to this gobi matar masala sabji, we will need a teaspoon of roughly crushed ginger-garlic and some powdered species like red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
We will also add amchur powder (raw mango powder) in the end to give a slight tangy taste to this gobi matar masala. You can totally skip adding amchur powder if you do not have it.
We will also need finely chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) to garnish the sabji.
Seasoning – We will need salt to taste and a teaspoon of sugar to balance the tartness of tomatoes.
Water – This is a semi-dry masala sabji. We will require water to cook the vegetables. You can also use vegetable stock instead of plain water.
Oil – To make this gobi matar masala, we will require 2 tablespoons of oil.
This Aloo Gobi Matar Masala is best served with roti, phulka, tawa paratha or with jeera rice, and pulao (pilaf).
This gobi matar masala stays good for 4-5 days in the refrigerator. Reheat before serving.
More Sabji Recipes
Aloo Gobi Sabji (Cauliflower Potato Sabji), Gavar Batata Sabji (Cluster Beans Sabji), Maharashtrian Style Bhindi Ki Sabji (Okra Stir Fry), Cabbage Besan Sabji, Aloo Palak Sabji (Spinach Potato Sabji), Aloo Baingan Sabji (Eggplant Potato Sabji), Aloo Methi Sabji (Fenugreek Potato Sabji)
How to make Aloo Gobi Matar Ki Sabji
Watch On YouTube
Join “Easy Indian Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes” on Facebook & be a part of our community.
Thank you for stopping by, I would love to know your thoughts on this recipe.
Also, do check out my Lifestyle Blog eralivine.com if interested.
Aloo Gobi Matar Sabji | Cauliflower, Potato & Green Peas Sabji Recipe
- 2 cups Cauliflower
- 2 Potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 cup Green Peas (Fresh or Frozen)
- 2 small Onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tomato, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Ginger-Garlic Paste (roughly crushed)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 teaspoon Amchur Powder (Raw Mango Powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar Or Jaggery (gul)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Coriander Leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- In a saucepan / kadai, heat oil. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add finely chopped onion, saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add roughly crushed ginger-garlic and saute till the raw smell of ginger-garlic fades away.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes.
- Cover and cook this mixture till tomatoes are tender.
- Once tomatoes are soften add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder. Saute this masala for a minute on low flame.
- Add 1/4th cup water to prevent spices from burning.
- Cook this masala for a minute or two till oil seperates from the edges.
- Add fresh green peas and cubed potatoes, mix well with the onion-tomato masala.
- Add very little salt for peas and potatoes at this time. (Incase, using frozen peas, add it along with the cauliflower later)
- Add half a cup of water and let potatoes & peas cook for 7-8 minutes on medium flame or till half done.
- Using a knief or spoon check if potatoes and peas are half cooked.
- Now add cauliflower florets and mix. At this point, add salt to taste and half a teaspoon of sugar.
- Add half cup of water for vegetables to cook.
- Cover and cook aloo gobi matar till vegetables softens.
- Once vegetables are tender, add amchur powder (raw mango powder) and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Aloo Gobi Matar Sabji is ready.
- Serve with any flatbread of your choice or with rice.