This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Green Peas Curry (Matar usal) is a simple curry made using fresh green peas, garnished with freshly scrapped Coconut and basic Indian spices. This is a vegan, no onion no garlic, beginner-friendly & bachelor-friendly recipe.
This is an incredibly tasty, rich, filling, healthy recipe that gets done under 30 minutes.
Curries are staple to Indian Cuisine. They are prepared with vegetables or lentils (dals), these are rich in protein and vitamins that are best served with rice, chapati, phulka, poori.
In Maharashtra, we call this green peas curry, Matar chi usal or matar chi amti. Matar means green peas. They are also spelled as Mutter.
This curry is widely prepared in most households with slight variations from region to region. This is a no onion-garlic gravy sabji which is perfect for a quick dinner.
During winters when fresh tender green peas are in season, we often make this recipe and serve it with pav (Indian bread). You can also use frozen peas to make this curry.
When green peas are in season I always stock these tender peas and freeze them so as to use them all around the year.
This curry has a mild sweet taste. The sweetness comes from fresh peas and fresh coconut.
This curry is mildly spiced with Maharashtrian Goda Masala which is a quintessential spice in Maharashtrian Cuisine.
Goda Masala blends nicely with the peas to give you the perfect taste and texture. You can find Goda masala easily in any Indian grocery store.
In case you don’t want to add goda masala, use coriander-cumin powder or garam masala instead.
You can use fresh peas or frozen peas to make this delicious curry.
This is a perfect recipe for beginners as it’s super simple to make and can be made in under 30 minutes. Fresh peas take approximately 30 minutes to cook.
A bowl of hot green peas curry along with bread (pav) is a soul-warming meal during cold winters and best as a dinner menu after a busy hectic day.
As the consistency of this curry is on the runny side, it’s not easy to pack it for tiffin. But again you can make it either semi-liquid or dry as per your preference by adding less water.
Being on the sweeter side, kids also love this green peas curry along with bread or rice.
This green peas curry can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 days. Before serving, reheat on the stove or microwave.
Let’s see how to make green peas curry with no onion & no garlic in your home kitchen.
Serves: 3 Persons
Prep time: 20 minutes to shell the peas.
Cook time: 30 minutes
Cooking level: Easy
Taste: Mild Spicy
- 2 Cups Fresh Green Peas
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/4th teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- 1/4th teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tablespoon Goda Masala (OR Coriander Cumin Powder Or Garam Masala)
- 1 teaspoon Jaggery (gul/gud)
- 2 tablespoons fresh Coconut (Optional)
- 1 tablespoon Oil for cooking
- Salt to taste
- Water as per gravy requirement.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Add hing, turmeric powder, and green peas. Saute the peas for 2 minutes on medium flame without water.
- After 2 minutes, add water till the peas or submerged. ( you can add water as per the gravy requirement). In case you want to make it semi-dry add 1/2 cup of water.
- Add jaggery (gul) and salt and let the peas cook on medium flame. Keep on stirring occasionally.
- When the peas are half done add goda masala and red chilli powder. Check the seasoning.
- Simple vegan green peas curry (matar chi usal) is ready to serve.
- While serving garnish with freshly grated coconut. You may also add some coconut while cooking the peas.
- Serve hot with pav/ slice bread / phulka / chapati / plain rice.