This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cabbage coconut stir fry vegetable is a mildly spiced and flavourful vegetable recipe. Made using fresh cabbage, nutty chana dal (split Bengal gram) and fresh coconut. This is a healthy, diabetic-friendly, vegan, gluten-free, no onion no garlic recipe.
Cabbage coconut vegetable is a no-fuss preparation that requires basic staple ingredients. This is a dry vegetable preparation which makes it the perfect option to pack for a lunch box. You can serve this with roti, naan or chapati.
Let’s see how to make cabbage coconut stir fry vegetable using basic staple ingredients in your home kitchen.
Serves: 3 Persons
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Cooking level: Easy
- 400gms Cabbage cut lengthwise
- 2 tbsp Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram)
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4th tsp Turmeric Powder
- 5-7 Curry Leaves
- 2 Dry Red Chilies
- 1 Green Chilli roughly chopped (Optional)
- 1 tbsp Shredded Ginger
- 3 tbsp Scraped Fresh Coconut (Use desiccated coconut in case fresh coconut not available)
- Juice of Half Lemon
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Wash split Bengal gram (chana dal) and half cook them in boiling water. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds. Once mustard seeds crackle add turmeric powder, curry leaves, dry red chilies & shredded ginger mix well and saute for 30 seconds till the raw smell of ginger fades away.
- Now add cabbage along with green chilli (optional) and mix. Add salt, sugar, half-cooked split bengal gram (chana dal) and mix well. Sprinkle little water over the cabbage to help it cook and avoid sticking to the pan. Cover and cook for 5 minutes on medium flame. Stir in between.
- Cook the cabbage as per the texture you require, as some like it little crunchy and some like it fully cooked. Once cabbage and split bengal gram (chana dal) is cooked add the scrapped fresh coconut and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Lastly, add lemon juice mix well.
- Cabbage Coconut Stir Fry Vegetable is ready.
- Garnish with fresh coconut and serve with flatbread of your choice.
Instead of split bengal gram (chana dal) you may also use sliced potatoes / green peas / soacked and boiled chickpeas.
Instead of split bengla gram you may add peanuts too.