Kothimbir Vadi is a quintessential Maharashtrian snack made using fresh coriander leaves (cilantro) along with gram flour with addition of some earthy spices & herbs.
Kothimbir means Coriander Leaves (Cilantro) & Vadi means squared slices that are made by cutting the batter.
Kothimbir Vadi’s is a spicy, crispy flavourful Maharashtrian snack.
These kothimbir vadi can be served either steamed or can be fried. The best option would be shallow frying them instead of deep fry as they get a nice texture.
Kothimbir Vadi is popular in Maharashtra. You will find many restaurants serving this delicious snack along with peanut or coconut chutney.
These kothimbir vadi’s are vegan & gluten-free. When you fry them they give such an amazing texture. Soft from inside and crispy outside.
You can have these for breakfast, evening snacks or side dish for a perfect meal. Not only adults but kids also cherish this kothimbir vadi’s along with ketchup or green mint chutney.
We love to have them especially for our 5 pm hunger pangs along with a hot cup of ginger tea!! It’s a perfect combination and no doubt you will love it too!!
These vadi’s are protein-rich and vitamin-rich. They are diabetic-friendly and a healthy option for people who wants to lose weight. Just have it steamed instead of frying. These are filling as well.
These kothimbir vadi’s are quick and easy to make. Just a pre-preparation needs to be done that too it takes very less time.
These Vadi’s are so popular that they make their presence in most of the Maharashtrian wedding thali’s as well.
So let’s see step by step how to make Kothimbir Vadi in your home kitchen.
Serves: Makes 20 Pieces
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Cooking level: Moderate
Ingredients Required For Recipe:
- 2 Cups Fresh Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Cup Besan (Gram Flour)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 4 cloves of Garlic coarsely crushed
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Ajwain (Carom Seeds)
- Salt to taste
- Water to knead the dough
- Oil for frying
How to prepare Kothimbir Vadi:
- In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients except water & oil.
- Mix well and check for seasoning. Add little water at a time and make a soft dough.
- Now shape the dough into cylindrical shape and apply little oil over it.
- Place this roll onto a sieved plate & steam for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, take out the vadi rolls and keep aside to cool.
- Once cooled, cut them into half inch disc and deep or shallow fry into hot oil.
- Kothimbir Vadi – Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) Fritters are ready.
- Serve them hot with cup of garma garam Chai (Indian Tea).