This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ratalyachi Bhaji / Sweet Potato Vegetable is a popular Indian Fasting / Vrat / Upvas recipe made with ratala (also known as sweet potato), roasted peanut powder & some herbs. This is a vegetarian, gluten-free, no onion no garlic recipe.
Ratala in English means Sweet Potato, Bhaji means Indian vegetable preparation and Upvas means Fasting. So Upvasachi ratalyachi bhaji means “a stir-fried sweet potato vegetable” that is often made during fasting / vrat.
The recipe that is shared here is of Traditional Maharashtrian Style Upvasachi Ratalyachi bhaji wherein steamed sweet potato is tossed in ghee along with aromatic herbs and nutty peanut powder which adds a nice crunch to this dish.
There are only two basic ingredients that go into making this flavourful dish, which is pressure-cooked sweet potato (ratala) and roasted peanut powder which is called Shengdanyacha kut in Marathi.
This is a quick & easy recipe that is prepared mainly during fasting / vrat / upvas and can be made under 15 minutes if you have sweet potato cooked beforehand.
Apart from green chillies no other spices are used in making this recipe.
Extremely simple to make, this ratalyachi bhaji / sweet potato vegetable is super flavourful and has a nice crunchy & nutty bite in every morsel. Made using very less herbs, this upvasachi ratalychi bhaji is favourite among kids too!
Sweet potato is a root vegetable and rich in vitamin A. It is low in calories and believe it or not it’s actually recommended for diabetic patients as well.
Ratalyachi bhaji / Sweet Potato Vegetable is normally eaten as a side dish with Vari tandul (Bhagar) & Shengdana Amti (Peanut Curry) during fasting / vrat / upvas such as during Mahashivratri, Ekadashi, Navratri to name a few..
This recipe is mildly sweet and spicy. The sweetness naturally comes with the potato and spiciness from the green chilles that are added to it.
There are various ways in which you can consume sweet potato. You can make ratalyacha sheera (sweet pudding) , ratalyache kaap ie cut thin slices and roast them on a skillet using spices of your choice or make a nutritious breakfast dish of grated Ratalyacha kees ie (Spicy Grated Sweet Potato dish).
You can skip ghee and use Oil instead to make this a vegan preparation.
How to Make Ratalyacha Kees / Sweet Potato Upma
Fasting / Vrat / Upvas Recipes
How to make Roasted Peanut Powder at Home
No Onion No Garlic Recipes
Let’s see how to make Upvasachi Ratalyachi Bhaji Maharashtrian Style(Sweet Potato & Peanut Stir Fry Sabji) with just a handful of basic ingredients in your home kitchen.
Serves: 3-4 Persons
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Cooking level: Easy
Taste: Mildly Sweet & Spicy
- 1/2 Kg (500 gms) Sweet Potatoes
- 2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 3-4 Green Chilies finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Roasted Peanut Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Ghee (Homemade Clarified Ghee)
- Wash the sweet potatoes under water and pressure cook them until 4-5 whistle.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooled down remove the skin and cut them into medium bite-size cubes.
Featured Recipe Video – Sabudana Thalipeeth (Upvas/Vrat Thalipeeth)
How To Make Upvas Ratla Sabji – Sweet Potato Sabji
- In a pan add ghee and cumin seeds. When cumin seeds sizzles add green chillies and saute for 30 seconds.
- Now add the cubed sweet potatoes, salt, sugar and roasted peanut powder. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Cover the sabzi/vegetable with a lid and let the sweet potato cook on steam for 5-7mins on a low flame. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Upvasachi Ratalyachi Bhaji / Sweet Potato & Peanut Stir Fry Vegetable is ready.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat the bottom of the baking tray with oil.
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Cut them into medium size pieces and place them in the baking tray.
- Bake for 60 minutes or till they are cooked completely. Once cooked you can start with the tempering.
To make this into a vegan dish, skip the ghee and use oil instead.
You can garnish this upvasachi ratalychi bhaji / sweet potato Vegetable with fresh scrapped coconut.