Pan pizza is a recipe that is made on the stovetop instead of using the traditional oven method. The recipe shared here is a vegetable pizza recipe.
We love pizza, especially the take-out ones! but sometimes when I crave home-style pizza I end up making this quick ( jhatpat ) pizza for a light meal or weekend snack.
Pan pizza also sometimes called as Tava pizza is an easy alternative to oven-baked pizza.
In recent years, you will find this pan pizza served on the streets of Mumbai. This desi way of cooking this vegetable pizza on pan / tava comes very helpful as in India many households don’t have ovens to bake pizza into.
Cheesy pizza along with crispy crust and flavourful vegetable toppings, this pizza is a sure shot hit for baccha party (kids party) at home or a get to together.
This homemade pizza turns out delicious and looks very colourful with a wide range of vegetable toppings and seasonings.
I normally use onions, tomatoes, bellpeppers (capsium) along with sweet corn kernels.
You may include any vegetables of your choice, you can even add mushrooms for that really amazing texture, olives, baby corns and so many more, the list is unending.
I love to experiment with the toppings, a fun time altogether!
I normally use processed cheese (Amul cheese) for making this pizza instead of mozzarella but you can choose as per your choice here.
I have noticed that processed cheese works best for this homemade pan-style pizza instead of mozzarella.
This is a super easy recipe and is best for weekend dinner or a quick evening snack or one meal dinner too.
This is a hit at kids birthday parties, they totally love this. As it’s homemade, you can adjust the level of spice accordingly. Also assembling pizza is fun for kids too!
Now the recipe that I am sharing here is not made from scratch. I have used store-bought pizza base and pizza sauce. That’s why I am calling this an easy recipe.
Now the main thing to remember here is to cook this pizza base on a very low flame. If the flame is medium or high, the base will burn and the cheese will not melt.
Make sure you use only a Non-stick thick bottom pan with a lid to make this delicious yummy pan pizza.
Also, I have pre-cooked the vegetables here instead of placing them raw. You may opt otherwise.
Pizza Bread: I have used a store-bought pizza base in making this recipe.
Pizza Sauce: I have used store-bought pizza sauce here. But if you do not like storebought and want a quick and tasty sauce, then mix equal amounts of red chilli sauce along with tomato ketchup, mix well and there you go, a delicious pizza sauce ready at your fingertips.
Vegetables: I have used crunchy hard vegetables here like red onions, green bell peppers (capsicum), fresh tomatoes, and boiled sweet corns.
Herbs & Seasonings: I have used mixed Italian pizza season along with freshly crushed black pepper and salt. And for that amazing flavor I have used crushed garlic cloves.
Butter: I have used a teaspoon of butter while cooking the base.
Cheese: For me processed cheese especially the Amul processed cheese goes best for this pan pizza.
Let’s see how to make pizza in the pan without an oven with healthy vegetables in your home kitchen.
- 2 Storebought Pizza Base
- 4/5 Garlic Cloves roughly crushed
- 3 Onions roughly chopped
- 2 Tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 Big Capsicum roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder (optional)
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder freshly crushed
- Salt to taste
- 2 Cups Sweet Corns boiled
- 2 tbsp Pizza Sauce per Pizza Base
- Chilli Flakes as per requirement
- Mixed Italian Herbs as per requirement
- 1tsp Butter per Pizza Base
- Mozzarella or Processed Cheese as per preference
- 2tbsp Oil
First, we will cook the vegetables, we need to cook the vegetable just say 70-80% not all the way through.
So for cooking veggies:
- In a pan heat oil and add roughly crushed garlic and saute for 30 seconds, to this add onion, tomatoes & capsicum and saute on a medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Now add red chilli powder, salt, black pepper powder and saute till vegetables are half cooked. Switch off the flame and let the veggies cool down to room temperature.
Our vegetable topping is ready.
To know how I cooked sweet corn click here.
Now the fun part – Let’s start assembling.
- Take pizza base and spread pizza sauce.
- Now evenly spread the vegetables over the pizza base.
- Add a handful of cooked sweet corn over the vegetables and sprinkle chilli flakes, Italian herbs and a pinch of black pepper powder.
- Grate the cheese over the vegetable topping.
- In a deep non-stick pan, add a teaspoon of butter and spread across the pan, transfer the pizza base into the pan.
- Cover the pan and let the pizza roast on the lowest flame for about 12-15 minutes or until the cheese melts and the base becomes crisp
- Keep on checking the pizza occasionally.
- Once the base is crisp from the bottom and the cheese has melted, transfer the pizza to the chopping board & cut it into triangles.
- Vegetable Pan Pizza is ready.
- Serve hot.
This is how I make my easy homemade pan pizza, how do you make it? Do let me know in the comments 🙂 I would love to know.