Shikanji is a popular Indian drink made using fresh lemon juice that is spiced up with a unique blend of masala and served chilled. This is a tangy, sweet vegan and gluten-free refreshing drink.
Shikanji also known as Shikanjvi, Shikanjbi and Shikanjbeen is a lemon-based drink originating in the northern part of India. Unlike lemonade, Shikanji contains ingredients such as black salt, cumin powder, black pepper powder, coriander powder etc.
This is a popular drink all across India that is consumed to beat the scorching heat during summers. Actually, you don’t need any excuse or season to make this refreshing drink. We often make this shikanji along with snacks or as a refreshment drink, especially when guests come over.
Shikanji is very easy and quick to make. Only 10 minutes is what you need and it’s ready! It’s that easy. This drink is best served for birthday parties, buffets, kitty parties or a simple get-together. No doubt with its tantalizing flavour this mocktail will surely impress your guest.
This drink is absolutely favourite among kids and hence best to include at their Birthday parties instead of those store-bought aerated drinks. Apart from refreshing taste and flavour, this drink is rich in vitamin C.
This sweet, salty, tangy flavourful drink is served chilled topped with ice cubes and sometimes along with the roughly crushed mint leaves.
To make this Shikanji, I used:
Lemons – Fully ripe lemons are used to make this shikanji. I used lemon juice of 3 ripe lemons.
Sugar – Instead of regular sugar, I have used powdered sugar which is easy to dissolve.
Salt – A pinch of table salt or rock salt is essential.
Black Salt – This gives an extra tangy kick to this shikanji.
Spice Powders – I have used cumin seed powder and coriander powder here. It imparts a subtle and flavourful taste to this drink.
Chilled Water – Alway use chilled water or serve it chilled after refrigerating.
Other Ingredients that can be added to this shikanji:
Instead of regular water, club soda is also used.
Let’s see how to make Nibu Shikanji that is super refreshing and tasty in just under 10 minutes.
Serves: 2 Persons
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Cooking level: Very Easy
Taste: Sweet, Tangy, Salty
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 3 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon black salt
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt (adjust as per taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 glasses of chilled water or club soda
- Ice cubes
- Handful coarsely pounded mint leaves (optional).
- Take a mixing bowl and squeeze juice of 3 lemons into it.
- Add powderd sugar.
- Add salt and black salt.
- Add the cumin & coriander powder and mix well.
- Now add chilled water or you may also add club soda. Mix well so that the spices and sugar is nicely combined with the lemon juice.
- If you want add coarsely pounded mint leaves and ice cubes.
- Nimbu Shikanji – Indian Style Lemonade is ready.
- Transfer into serving glass and serve chilled.