This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Aloo Matar (Green Peas & Potato Curry) is the most popular Indian curry that is served with puffed poori or partha.
Made using fresh or frozen green peas along with potato cubes that are cooked in rich onion tomato gravy with basic Indian spices. This is a vegan & gluten-free recipe.
When I want to indulge in comfort food this is my go-to dish to prepare. I normally have it with pav (bread) instead of poori or paratha. But for a special occasion, I like to serve it with hot soft puffed pooris.
Making this aloo matar recipe is very easy and quick. You can also make this in an instant pot or pressure cooker.
I normally make it in a kadai. I love to make this recipe using fresh green peas over the frozen ones as the taste and texture differ otherwise.
But if you couldn’t get your hands on the fresh ones, certainly go ahead with the frozen ones. The tomato gives a nice tangy touch to the dish and the earthy spices make this dish flavourful.
When it comes to comfort food, no doubt the humble potato is the one that comes to my mind and pairing it with a healthy veggie like green peas which are highly nutritious and packed with proteins takes this dish to another level.
This aloo matar curry goes well as a side dish with dal rice or plain rice. A protein-rich recipe that is loved by kids and elders too. Makes a perfect mid-week supper as well.
This one-pot curry recipe comes together in under 30 minutes and pairs well with flatbreads like roti, paratha or with dal rice, or plain steamed rice.
There are several variations in which this aloo matar curry is made. You can make this into a dry dish or with curry. It depends on your preference.
In case you want to pack it for tiffin then you can add very little water just to cook the vegetable and keep it semi-dry or completely dry.
The best thing about making this vegetable is that everything goes into one pot and within minutes you are ready to serve this delicious curry. You can make this recipe in the instant pot too.
Let’s see how to make restaurant-style aloo matar in your home kitchen.
Servings: 2 Persons
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cook time: 25 Minutes
Cooking level: Moderate
Taste: Spicy & Tangy
- 150 gms Fresh Green Peas
- 2 Medium Sized Potatoes peeled & chopped in cubes
- 1 Medium sized Onion
- 1 Big sized Tomato
- 1 tablespoon Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 2 teaspoon Red Chilly Powder
- 2 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder or curry powder
- 1-2 teaspoon Jaggery (Gul)
- Lemon Juice (Optional)
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Water as per gravy requirement
- In a pan heat oil and add roughly chopped onion & tomatoes. Saute till onion and tomatoes become tender and their raw smell fades away.
- Set aside this mixture to cool.
- Once onion tomatoes are cooled, blend them to a fine paste. Add water only if required
- Now in a kadhai / deep pan heat a tablespoon of oil. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell fades away. Then add the onion tomato paste and cook till the oil separates from the mixture.
- Once the oil starts separating from the onion-tomato mixture, add green peas, cubed potatoes, water as per the gravy consistency you require, salt & jaggery, mix everything well and cook the peas and potatoes on medium flame stirring occasionally.
- Once the peas & potatoes are half done, add red chilly powder & garam masala powder. Adjust the gravy consistency and cook Aloo Matar (Green Peas Potato) till it’s tender. Do not cover the pan with the lid while cooking.
- Aloo Matar – Green Peas Potato Curry is ready.
- While Serving squeeze lemon over it (Optional).
- Serve hot with Roti, Paratha, Nan, POORI, or Bread.